I had the pleasure of speaking with marketing expert Tad Hargrave. In the book world, more authors are becoming marketers for their work. Inherently, this causes an identity shift, and a confrontation that they want to spread the word, but not bug people. Tad excels at this type of thing: focusing on how marketing can be a part of a process that supports an entire community, instead of focusing on just getting money from people. Some topics we cover:
- How can marketing be inspiring and make the world a better place?
- Where does marketing go wrong? (EG: Manufacturing insecurity in your customer to get them to “need” your product.)
- How to consider the many income streams that support a business.
- Why Tad uses a pay-what-you-can method of pricing his workshops and webinars
- His experience as a street performer, and how he learned that marketing can be a positive thing, where people enjoy giving you money.
- How honesty in marketing is refreshing, that one doesn’t need to mask that a transaction is going on.
- The responsibility we have in marketing to ensure it supports the entire community in which you work.
- How focusing on meeting JUST your needs can also deliver the worst aspects of modern culture – how our professional and personal communities are divided. But that focusing on how your needs can be met, AND others’ needs can be met helps everyone in bigger ways.
- That, “when a lot of people think they want fame, they really want community; that when they think they want status, what they really want is stature – being held in high esteem by those you respect.”
You can watch our entire chat by clicking the play button below:
[flowplayer src='https://s3.amazonaws.com/WeGrowMediaInterviews/TadHargrave.mov' width=640 height=375]
Tad creates marketing workshops and offers consulting services for holistic & green businesses. You can find him in the following places:
Thank you so much to Tad for taking the time to chat!