I had the pleasure of speaking with author Bob Mayer, where we chatted about the specifics of his success in the ebook space.
We cover the following topics:
- His experience of 20 years in traditional publishing, and why he is putting so many resources into ebooks.
- The value of getting the rights back on nearly all of the 40 books he has published, allowing him to turn them into ebooks.
- In January of this year, he sold 347 ebooks total (with 8 books for sale), grossing $5,000 across all platforms. In July, he sold more than 80,000 ebooks (with 32 books for sale), and had $90,000 in profit.
- The importance of pricing: why only two of his books are priced at 99 cents, and the rest at higher prices. Nothing is above $4.99.
- How he gets the word out about his books via blogs and forums.
- That getting featured by pubit! increased sales from 12 copies a day to more than 400 per a day for one title. This is a book that had previously sold more than 1,000,000 copies in paperback.
- The importance of focusing on each individual platform and format, and the incredible amount of work involved in that.
- His view that profit sharing will be a bigger part of publishing in the future, instead of advances.
- That every author needs to be an entrepreneur, spending at least 50% of their time on the business end of things.
You can watch the full interview by clicking the play button below:
You can find Bob in the following places:
Thanks so much to Bob for taking the time to chat!