I work with writers as well as with organizations such as publishers, media companies, and literary agencies.
- For Writers:
I work with you one-on-one or in group settings via online courses to help you identify your audience, craft your messaging, and take a strategic approach to truly grow and engage your audience.
- For Organizations:
I provide deep research and analysis to craft brand for your writers that engages their readers; I also provide direct training to your employees or your authors via online courses/webinars or in-person workshops.
My process is based on two things:
- Research, analysis and strategy.
- Working directly with your employees or authors to develop their skills.
To me, this is a human process of understanding who your ideal audience is in a variety of contexts, with a wide rage of data points, and taking a realistic approach to truly connect with them, not merely market to them.
I customize my services to your needs, but below are three core packages that I offer:
Audience Discoverability & Development
Here, I use a variety of research processes to determine who a writer’s ideal audience is, where they are online and off, and what engages them. This is then mapped to a branding and marketing strategy for your author or your organization. This audience research process includes:
- Web analytics analysis
- Market research
- Audience interviews
- Competitive research
- Social media analysis
- Keyword research
- Understanding your audience’s workflow, behavior and psychographics as it relates to your author or organization
You walk away with a deep understanding of your ideal audience from both a qualitative and quantitative perspective, with clear action steps to connect with them.
I have crafted my methodology through working with hundreds of writers, from bestsellers to first-time authors. The six core steps include:
- FOCUS goals and resources
- DEFINE messaging and brand
- TARGET ideal readers
- JOIN the communities you hope to engage
- SHARE content and conversation that matters
- GROW your audience via analysis and observation
This goes far beyond just using social media, we hone the voice of an author and work to engage readers in the channels that matter most.
I help manage the entire process of establishing an author’s brand and working through a book launch, from a year before, to well beyond, ensuring that an audience connects from one book to the next. This is about best leveraging your resources, organizing a wide range of moving parts over the course of 1+ year, and managing the platform in the way that delivers the highest return on investment.
I have run dozens of in-person and online training programs and workshops for writers and publishing professionals. These range from small hour-long sessions, to multi-month education programs. Topics include:
- Brand development
- Audience targeting and engagement
- Writing for the web
- Web analytics
- Marketing campaigns
- Book launches
- Social media management
I have worked with the following brands:
- Random House
- Workman Publishing
- Perseus Books Group
- Writers House
- F+W Media
- The Kenyon Review
- Publishers Weekly
- Writer’s Digest
- Council of Literary Magazines and Presses (CLMP)
- Library Journal
- School Library Journal
- Consortium Book Sales & Distribution
- Vincentz Network
- One Hundred Robots – children’s book apps
- Reed Business Information
- Euromoney Institutional Investor
- @lantis Media
I also speak at many of the biggest writing and publishing conferences, including:
- BookExpo America
- Writers Digest Conference
- Romance Writers of America Annual Conference
- Digital Book World
- AWP Conference (Association of Writers & Writing Programs)
- Tools of Change for Publishing Conference
- NYU Center for Publishing
- Backspace Writers Conference
- Grub Street’s The Muse & the Marketplace
- James River Writers
- Book Camp NYC
- The Custom Content Council
- Book Industry Guild of New York
- MediaNext (formerly Folio: Show)
- College Media Advisors Convention
- American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE)
- American Society of Journalists and Authors Annual Conference
- American Business Media – Digital Media Cousel
- Self-Publishing Book Expo
- Publishing Executive Virtual Show
- Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCWBI)
- Publishing Business Conference & Expo
- National Association of Memoir Writers
- Columbia University
- Pace University
- Association of Author’s Representatives
More information on my speaking schedule and availability.
To explore working together, send me an email or give me a call: firstname.lastname@example.org or 973-981-8882.