Today I’m excited to share my interview with author and publishing expert Jane Friedman. In our discussion, we dig into the nuts and bolts on how to earn a living as a writer.
We frame the conversation around her new book, The Business of Being a Writer, which shatters romantic assumptions around publishing, but then arms you with practical advice on how to develop your career.
We dig into:
- The dream that writers have and how it matches to reality.
- The business side of what it is like working with agents and publishers.
- How agents and publishers earn money (and how much they earn)
- Why great work simply rise to the top.
- The effort it takes to market a book and reach readers.
- The importance to get outside of your comfort zone to ensure your book finds its audience.
- …and so much more!
We also explore Jane’s own career path. Okay, perhaps my favorite quote from our discussion is how she expressed the challenge of selling a book in the age of distraction:
“It’s so easy to not read a book”
You can listen to the podcast by clicking ‘play’ below, or in the following places:
You can find Janes book here: The Business of Being a Writer
You can find her online in the following places:
Podcast: Play in new window | Download