How can one man write 10 books per year, while working a full-time job, going to law school in the evenings, and raising a young family? Today we find out. I am so excited to share my interview with author Michael La Ronn. He has published more than 40 books in the past six years: science fiction, fantasy, and nonfiction books on writing.
In our discussion we dig into:
- How he eliminated everything life that isn’t writing or reading. Gave up TV, videogames, movies, and even friends who are not productive. Instead, he stays focused, saying, “I’m always thinking about writing and reading.”
- How a 2012 bout with food poisoning put him in the hospital for a month, where he decided, “I swore on my hospital bed that I would be a writer.”
- How he writes 3,000-5,000 words per day. Okay, I just did math, and that potentially adds up to a million words per year.
- How he increased his writing output by 40% simply by writing 100 words in small moments on his phone. If he is on line at the foodstore, he writes. If he is waiting for his wife at the store, he writes. In the small moments where most of us check social media or the news, he writes.
- How he deals the demands of his day job, and how he manages the job, instead of letting it manage him.
- Why he is able to say, “When i wake up every morning, I’m doing my life’s work,” and (I love this one), “I’m going to be successful being myself.”
- She shares lots of time management, productivity, and mindset tips.
You can listen to the interview by clicking ‘play’ below, or via iTunes:
You can find Michael in the following places:
- Amazon (all of his books)
- His book on how he writes so much: Be a Writing Machine
- His podcast, The Writer’s Journey
- His YouTube channel, Author Level Up
- Twitter: @MichaelLaRonn