I’ve been thinking a lot about what singer/songwriter Mike Mattison told me in our recent interview, about what it means to become a professional in your craft. Some of his advice can be challenging to those who go into the arts for the love of it. If you are a writer looking to get to the “next level” in your career, so much of what Mike shares may be useful. In this episode, I share five powerful lessons on how to connect with your audience. These include:
- Making a genuine statement with your creative work can lead to more success than trying to fit into the expectations of the market.
- You have to be “fanatically” into your creative work, much more so than you would expect.
- Your network will create amazing (and unexpected) opportunities.
- Accepting that creative work is essentially magic — creating value out of thin air — should change how you think about your business dealings.
- Change is a constant in your career. The gift is doing the work.
You can listen to the podcast by clicking ‘play’ below, or in the following places:
You can watch the podcast here:
You can listen to my interview with Mike here.